CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, January 3, 2009

Jesus Calling

I've been working on being a better Christian. It's a work in progress, that's for sure. Sometimes I feel rebellious though. I'm a grown woman (OK, that sounds weird) but I am. I'm 34 yrs old, I'm a wife and a mom but when I have my own Mom telling me that I need to do this or not do that, I roll my eyes and say "I know" and try and change the subject. Needless to say, I don't like being told what to do. Period! I lived my life at home as a child and have been on my own since I moved out 4 days after turning 20. I can make my own decisions.

My mom is always telling me that I should read my Bible more. Again, the rebellion kicks in. I know I should but I don't read all that much anyways cause I can't find the time (Maybe I should be reading rather than blogging..lol) but honestly, I have a hard time reading the Bible. It's not easy to understand and so it tends to take longer to read a short chapter than if it were something easier to read. I go to church though. It's important to me. If I miss a day I tend to get that guilty feeling all day. I also sometimes miss because my husband only gets Sundays off and if he wants to go somewhere or leave Saturday to stay the night somewhere, I don't want to miss out on our family time together. I sometimes feel torn.

So, for Christmas my parents got Paul and I a devotional book called Jesus Calling. It's a daily read for every day of the year. It's as if Jesus is talking to me, individually. Since today is the 3rd day into the year, I thought I better catch up to be right on track. I will make this one of my new years resolutions, to read this devotional on a daily basis. To be honest though, Paul will not partake in this resolution. He is someone that I need to continue to pray for as he is not even close to being the least bit religious. I don't like to pester him either. He'll just have to be ready on his own.

Also for the new year I felt, in my continued journey into becoming a better Christian, I thought doing a good deed at least once a week for a random person would be a nice gesture. It may put a smile on someones face, maybe even warm their heart but it will also make me feel good for doing something nice. There is so much negativity in this world and it would be nice to see more "good doers" out there.

4 comments:

B said...

When I read, "I've been working on being a better Christian. It's a work in progress, that's for sure. Sometimes I feel rebellious though" I thought, oh yah! Because I'm working on the same thing, but sometimes I feel like I'm rebelling. Against who? Me? God? I dunno.

Unknown said...

I love this blog! What a wonderful idea. Why did you stop? I am always trying to be a better Christian as well, it's a good thing we have a Savior!

UB said...

That's Mums always giving advice.

Genny said...

Came over here from your comment at Because Katie Says So. So glad I stopped by! Inspiring!